Thirukkuvalai near Tiruvarur.
Father : Thiru. Muthuvelar
Mother: Thirumathi. Anjugam Ammaiyar.
Married, Children 6, (Males 4 and Females 2).
Member of Legislative Assembly / Council for more than 30 years.
Fulltime Politician. Entered public life even at the age of 14. Founder of the first student wing of the Dravidian Movement called "Tamil Nadu Tamil Manavar Mandram".
- One of the founder members of the D.M.K. in 1949. D.M.K. Treasurer - 1961.
- Deputy Leader of the Opposition 1962-67.
- D.M.K. President 1969 onwards.
Represented State Assembly in:
Kulithalai : 1957-62
Thanjavur : 1962-67
Saidapet : 1967-71
Saidapet : 1971-76
Anna Nagar : 1977-80
Anna Nagar : 1980-83
Harbour : 1989-91
Harbour : 1991 (Resigned)
Chepauk : 1996.
Won in all Assembly Elections contested from 1957 to 1996.
Was Opposition Leader in the Legislative Assembly 1977-83.
Member of Legislative Council 1984-86.
Cabinet Minister - Minister for Public Works, Government of Tamil Nadu 1967-69.
Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu 1969-71, 1971-76, 1989-91 and again from May 1996 onwards. Imprisoned on a number of occasions for political activities, especially for Anti-Hindi Agitation, change of name of railway station, against price raise and for the sake of Sri lankan Tamils, etc.,
Resigned his post of Member of Legislative Assembly during 1983 for the sake of Sri Lankan Tamils.
- Annamalai University conferred on him the title of "Doctorate" in 1971.
- The Council of Doctor of Philosophy made him "Tamizha vel";
- Awarded "Raja Rajan Award" by Tamil University, Thanjavur for his book "Thenpandi Singam".
European Countries, Britain, France, West Germany, Rome during 1970. U.S.A. during 1971. Malaysia during 1987; Special address delivered on the inaugural day of III World Tamil Conference held in Paris in the year 1970 and on the inaugural day of VI World Tamil Conference held in Kualalampur (Malaysia) in the year 1987.
- Reading, Writing and Discussion.
Books Written: Romapuri Pandian, Thenpandi Singam, Vellikizhamai, Nenjukku Needhi, Eniyavai Erbathu, Sanga Thamizh, Kuraloviam, Ponnar-Sankar, Thirukkural Urai and many books in prose and poetry numbering more than 100.
Manimagudam, Ore Ratham, Palaniappan, Thooku Medai, Kagithapoo, Naane Arivali, Vellikizhamai, Udhayasooriyan, Silapathikarum, etc.
Rajakumari, Abhimanyu, Mandiri Kumari, Marutha Naattu Ilavarasi, Manamagan, Devaki, Parasakthi, Panam, Thirumbipaar, Naam, Manohara, Ammaiappan, Malai Kallan, Rangoon Radha, Raja Rani, Puthaiyal, Pudhumai Pithan, Ellorum Innattu Mannar, Kuravanchi, Thayillapillai, Kanchi Thalaivan, Poompuhar, Poomalai, Mani Makudam, Marakka Mudiyuma? Avan Pithana? Pookkari, Needhikku Thandanai, Paalaivana Rojakkal, Pasa Paravaikal, Padadha Theneekkal, Niyaya Tharasu and many more numbering more than Seventy.
- Beggars Rehabilitation Home,
- Free Eye Camps,
- Supply of free rice on important days,
- Free supply of spectacles,
- Abolition of hand rickshaws,
- Slum Clearance Board,
- Family Benefit Scheme,
- Legislation for equal property rights for women,
- Marriage grant of Rs. 10,000 to poor girls,
- Incentive for inter-Caste Marriages and Widow's Re-marriages,
- maternity Relief for women in poor households,
- Free Education for poor girls up to graduate level,
- Adi-Dravidar Free Housing Schemes,
- Formation of separate departments for Welfare of Backward Classes,
- Special reservation of twenty percentage for Most Backward Classes
- Setting up of the State Planning Commission, etc.
- Thillaiadi Valliammai Nagar,
- Kattabomman Kottai,
- Poompuhar Kalai koodam,
- Valluvar Kottam and
- Anna Arivalayam.
Great Orator, Administrator, Play-Wright, Editor, Publisher, Author, Parliamentarian, Great poet and Great Statesman;
Sub Editor incharge of "KudiArasu". Also Editor for "Malai Mani" - D.M.K. daily.
- Gave life to journals-'Maravan Madal' and 'Mutharam';
Founder-Editor, Publisher of his own magazine "Murasoli" during his boyhood as a monthly, then a weekly, then a daily which is now the main newspaper to echo his voice, ideas, ideals etc.
Founder of State Government's News Reel, Arasu Studio. Founder of the Government Journal "Tamil Arasu" published in Tamil and English.
- Affectionately called by all as, 'Kalaignar.'
8, IV Street, Gopalapuram, Chennai - 600 086.
Designed & Maintained by
DMK - Anna Arivalayam - Chennai -18.